Drab , a polysemous verb


As  Salamu 3alaikoum,
The verb " To hit"  in Moroccan Arabic, has different uses in metaphorical way. Besides its conventional use, we can find it as:

  • To caught + sickness : Drab + object pronouns : Drabni lmard : I got sick (literal translation: the sickness hit me) , Drabha lberd : She caught a cold (literal translation: The cold hit her).
  • To play + instrument : Drab + instrument:  drab lbendir , drab l3ud , drab lney... ( literal translation: hit the bendir, hit the laud, hit the flute)
  • To call by telephone: Drab ltilifun ( Litereal translation: Hit the phone)
  • Damaged by  the effects of  the nature , rain, wind, snow, sun .... :  Darbatu ....  ttilj ( the snow)  , shshems ( the sun) shshar9i ( strong wind).... 
  • To indicate that someone is unfortunate or unlucky : Drab f lwil ( literal translation : hitted by the misfortune)
  • Like "kein" (there is): Drabat shshta (There is rain) Drabat rr3ad (There is thunder) Drabat llil (Night fell)
  • Make hard work:Drab f ttamara 
  •  When receiving electric shock : Darbu ddu ( Hitted by electricity)
I'm almost sure there are more uses of this verb but actually  I can not remember more. If  in shaa Allah I remember something else, I will update the publication. If you know some other use of this verb and you want to share it , you can tell me  through a comment here, or through the social networks.


W ssalam  (That is all)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! Thanks!
In addition to those you mentioned, I know the following expressions:
pay dowry: ضرب الصداق (Literal translation: hit the credibility)
I could not sleep a wink all night: ضربني حمار ليل (Literal translation: the donkey of the night hit me)
act while the matter is cool!: ضرب لحديد ما حدّو سْخون (Literal translation: strike while the iron is hot)
I gobbled up a feast: ضربت واحد طاجين ديال القوق بالجلبانة (Literal translation: I've stuck a tajine with artichokes and peas). In this sense also used with "dush (=shower)" دوش and similars
It irked him!: ضربه بنوص (Literal translation: He hit him in half)

Post a Comment